How can EXTRA support you?
While Cohort 18 is now closed for applications, we’re already thinking about Cohort 19 for 2023/24! Reach out to us at any time to learn more, and see what EXTRA can do for you.
For many, the COVID-19 pandemic has put a pause button on leadership development and quality improvement. If you’re looking to restart leadership development and build the capabilities of leaders to improve quality and safety in healthcare, consider EXTRA – Healthcare Excellence Canada’s team-based leadership development program.
Together with other leaders from across the country, help your teams create innovative, evidence-informed ways to make health and social system improvements – generating lasting change in your organization.
EXTRA helps leaders plan for the future. They develop stronger leadership skills through hands-on coaching with healthcare executives and through teamwork. As well as meaningful engagement with people with lived experience.
Join more than 500 fellows from across Canada who have successfully completed Healthcare Excellence Canada’s EXTRA program.
What you’ll learn
Through EXTRA, you’ll learn how to use evidence to directly address system problems. For example, how to integrate care better or how to build better pathways for patients with complex medical needs.
You’ll enhance your leadership skills in patient safety, cultural safety and patient engagement – moving your organizational priorities forward. And you’ll learn more about co-designing projects with people with lived experience, including patients, families and caregivers.
Benefits for participants:
- Improve leadership skills required to lead transformational change
- Learn from renowned Canadian and international experts and organizational leaders
- Receive guidance from coaches that are experienced senior organizational leaders
- Peer-to-peer learning and networking with colleagues from across Canada
Benefits for organizations:
- Develop leaders with the expertise to transform organizational culture to enable safer care
- Develop capacity and capability to convert evidence into actionable policies and programs
- Implement a quality improvement project aligned with the organization’s priorities
- Share learning within your organization and across health systems
Who you’ll learn from
As an EXTRA participant, you’ll connect with peers, learn directly from renowned Canadian experts and international speakers, and engage effectively with patients with lived experience.
Program coaches are healthcare CEOs and other system leaders with vast experience leading complex change in health care. Our coaches will ask you critical questions and help you think through your project strategically.
EXTRA has supported many leaders in being a catalyst for change:
- 83% of improvement teams from a recent EXTRA cohort reported making improvements in the health of patients and residents, resulting from their quality improvement project.
- One participating hospital saw a 50% decrease in emergency room visits for 70% of Emergency Department users followed.
- Other EXTRA fellows used data to improve the flow of communication between hospital and community.
- Partnering teams of three to five leaders (including leaders with lived experience) with experts, faculty and coaches sets fellows up for success in addressing real-life health system challenges.
- Teams can be made up of participants from health and related organizations, such community and social services, education, justice and housing.
- The program is both virtual and in-person, allowing participants to build strong networks (format may change depending on pandemic status).