Selected Resources to support Patient Engagement in Patient Safety
The tools and resources included in this collection are selected for their credibility and usability to support patient engagement in patient safety efforts. See the Engaging Patients in Patient Safety – a Canadian Guide for additional resources captured in the references section at the end of each chapter. The Patient Engagement Resource Hub, a growing collection of evidence-based and action oriented resource, is also a great place to bookmark. This collection is periodically revised so send your thoughts on how to make it better at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for providers, patient engagement specialists and leaders
- Health Quality Ontario – Patient Engagement Tools and Resources for Providers
- Alberta Health Services - A Resource Toolkit for Engaging Patients and Families at the Planning Table
- Saskatchewan Health - Patient Family Advisor Handbook
- Vancouver Coastal Health - Patient and Public Advisors Handbook
- The Change Foundation - Should Money Come into It? A Tool for Deciding Whether to pay Patient Engagement Participants
- Healthcare Excellence Canada - Canadian Disclosure Guidelines
- Healthcare Excellence Canada - Patient Safety and Incident Management Toolkit
- Report: review of Ontario's Quality of Care Information Protection Act - Review Committee Recommendations
Resources for patients, families and patient partners
- Healthcare Excellence Canada - Family Presence
- Manitoba Institute for Patient Safety - S.A.F.E. toolkit
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices Canada – 5 Questions To Ask About Your Medication, Create Your Own Medication Record and medication safety reporting system supported by Health Canada
- Alberta Health Services - Safer Together
- Quebec Ministry of Health and Social Services - I'm Taking Care of my Health
- Health Care Charities of Canada - the How to Health Guide helps find health services and support
- Health Quality Ontario – Patient engagement tools and resources for patient partners
- Medication Reconciliation - One Simple Solution for Medication Safety
- Manitoba Institute of Patient Safety - Know the Process When Harm Happens
- Patients for Patient Safety Canada – Disclosure Principles
Resources to build patient engagement knowledge and skills (developed in partnership with patients)
- Healthcare Excellence Canada - Patient Safety Education Program, patients as partners – free downloadable curricula
- Healthcare Excellence Canada and HealthCareCAN - The Canadian Patient Safety Officer Program
- London Health Sciences Center - Patient and Family Advisors: Story-Telling On-Boarding Toolkit and
- Cancer Care Ontario - Story-Telling Toolkit
- Healthcare Excellence Canada - Patient and Family and Provider stories/ experiences of patient safety harm
Resources to evaluate patient engagement
- McMaster - Public and Patient Engagement Evaluation Tool
- Health Quality Ontario - Primary Care Patient Experience Survey: Support Guide
- Health Research and Education Trust in Partnership - A Leadership Resource for Patient and Family Engagement Strategies; Appendix A: patient engagement process and outcome measures.
- Spectrum Health - A Self-Assessment and Goal-Setting Tool for Patient and Family Advisory Councils.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement - The National Initiative of Children's Healthcare Quality, and The Institute for Patient and Family-Centered Care - Patient- and Family-Centered Care Organizational Self-Assessment Tool.
- American Institutes of Research - Patient and Family Engagement Measures Inventory (database).
- Centre of Excellence on Partnership with Patients and the Public. Patient and Public Engagement Evaluation Toolkit
Resources on patient engagement outside acute care settings
- Ontario Association of Residents' Council - Supporting Your Home's Residents' Council: A Resource Guide for Residents' Council Leadership and Staff Assistants
- Canadian Partnership for Quality Radiotherapy - Patient Engagement Guidelines for Canadian Radiation Treatment Programs
- Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division - Engage People with Lived Experience of Mental Health Conditions and Addictive Behaviours Workbook
- The Institute for Patient and Family-Centered Care – Advancing the Practice of Patient- and Family-Centered Care in Primary Care and Other Ambulatory Settings: How to Get Started
Resources to support engaging diverse patients
- Health Quality Ontario - Recruiting for Diversity
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Longer Term Care - Health Equity Impact Assessment Workbook and Template
- National Collaborating Center for Determinants of Health - Glossary of Health Equity
- Canadian Public Health Association - Health Literacy Resources
- Patient engagement in action (collections of case studies)
- Longwoods book - Creating "Engagement-Capable Environments" in Healthcare.
- Ontario Hospital Association - Achieving Patient Experience Excellence in Ontario: An Idea Book.
- Health Quality Ontario - Engaging with Patients: Stories and Successes from the 2015/2016 Quality Improvement Plans (including Engaging Under Represented Populations)
- Health Standards Organization – Leading practices database
Resources from around the world
- The National Academy of Science - Harnessing Evidence and Experience to Change Culture: A Guiding Framework for Patient and Family Engaged Care.
- The Joint Commission - Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient-and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals
- International Association of Patient Organizations - Addressing Global Patient Safety Issues An Advocacy Toolkit for Patients' Organizations
- American Institutes for Research - A Roadmap for Patient and Family Engagement in Healthcare Practice and Research.
- Health Research and Education Trust - A Leadership Resource for Patient and Family Engagement Strategies and Partnering to Improve Quality and Safety: A Framework for Working with Patient and Family Advisors.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality- Guide to Patient and Family Engagement in Hospital Quality and Safety
- National Health Service (England) - Patient Engagement in Patient Safety: A Framework for the NHS.