Do you have concerns about the quality or safety of your care?

Publication Date: May 4, 2023

Author(s): HEC

As an organization focused on supporting the Canadian healthcare system at large, we are not able to provide direct support to individuals or groups. However, we hope that the guidance we offer here will be of some help.

You may be able to better explore your concern by talking directly to your healthcare provider or someone else involved in your care, including the appropriate supervisor and management. Your care team may be the most informed on your questions or concerns and know the best way to proceed.

Most healthcare organizations and regional health authorities also have patient relations departments trained to address individual concerns.

In instances where your concerns are not addressed by working with the healthcare institution where you received care, you may consider contacting the appropriate regulatory licensing agencies in your provincial and/or territorial jurisdiction:

  • Contact the ombuds to investigate individual concerns with experiences of care, including concerns of quality and safety
    • Some provinces have specific Indigenous patient ombuds you can access if you are First Nations, Inuit, or Métis.
  • Contact the medical regulatory authority in your province or territory if your concern is about the conduct of a physician.
  • Contact the nurses association in your province or territory if your concern is about the conduct of nursing staff (Personal Support Work, Licensed Practical Nurse, Registered Practical Nurse, etc.).
  • Contact the relevant licensing/regulating body if your concern involves a regulated health professional.

Regulatory bodies generally have their own concern-handling bylaws, policies, or procedures. You may be asked to put your concern in writing and identify yourself so that the issue can be thoroughly investigated.

If you are still having trouble resolving your concern(s), you may wish to contact the ministry of health in the province or territory where you received care.

Some concerns can also be reported directly:

  • First Nations, Inuit, and Métis experiences of racism in healthcare in British Columbia can be reported at:
  • Medication errors or reactions can be reported at
  • Side effects and adverse reactions from health products (drugs, medical devices, vaccines and more) can be reported through the Canada Vigilance Program

A list of free mental health resources is available to those who need support.